setting a dress form

Welcome to the SewForum! Your place to share information and advice about embroidery, sewing, serging, knitting and quilting. There is even a spot for those interested in industrial sewing topics. Just register to get started and enjoy! Please read the forum rules inside this section. Every member is expected follow the rules and respect the administration and moderators.
PERSONAL SALES ADS ARE NOT ALLOWED.
WANT ADS FOR EMPLOYEES OR TEST STITCHERS ARE FORBIDDEN.
wabb92

setting a dress form

Post by wabb92 »

I just bought a Dritz My Double Deluxe Dressform. I'm having trouble understanding how to apply measurements to the form....

1st: How do I use the dial to set measurements? For example, when I set the waist to 30" on all the dials, it does not actually measure 30" with a measuring tape.

2nd: I don't quite understand how the bust measurement works. My dress form (which I named Mavis) is rather flat chested. When I apply measurements for a girl with a C cup, I'm just increasing the size of Mavis's entire rib cage/skeleton and she still has a flat chest. The girl I'm sewing for is pretty small. If I want to keep her rib cage size and still account for having a C cup, do I put a bra on Mavis and dial her down till she's smaller? Basically I set Mavis to the real girl's band size and then put a bra on her?

Please help if you can. I'm rather confused and I don't know anyone who does tailored sewing. :(
Many thanks,
Abbie